Blog By: Prestige Homes Why buy a modular home? From the experts at Prestige Homes, these...
5 Things About New Build Homes That You Need To Know
Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 @ 2:37pm
Blog By: Delonix Homes
Purchasing a new build home isn’t a hands-off process. As a homeowner, you want to be involved in the process as much as possible. It’s important that you educate yourself and choose the right home builder to bring your vision of a new home to light.
- Your home should work for YOU. Your professional builder and team should be willing to spend time and discuss items like your lifestyle, goals, and wants versus wishes. Together, you’ll design a home that works best for you.
- Plan, but be flexible. It doesn’t matter how much thought you’ve put into the design and process of building your home, something will change. This could be a design element, process change or simply a desire to alter something. Planning is key, but do not be adverse to change, because it will happen.
- Every builder or tradesperson is not created equal. Do your homework and know every hand that touches your home. If you need tips on hiring your team, take a look at Mike’s cheat sheet.
- Establish relationships. Your builder is working for you. You’re putting a lot of trust in the hands of these people. Make sure you feel comfortable asking the hard questions, and don’t underestimate the need for good communication. Know the protocol for changes, contract amendments, and the fine print. If you ever think you’re asking too many questions, you’re not. This is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make, it pays to know as much as possible.
- Things happen, be prepared, and know what you’re getting into. Building a home is more complex that you think. There could be delays for any number of reasons. Be prepared, keep communication with your team open, and be open to working together to build the best home you can get.
Once you’ve got the keys to your new home, your work isn’t finished! Like a shiny new car needs its maintenance, your newly built home is the same. Understand the mechanics of the technology that keeps your home running, and know what preventative maintenance you need to take to stop from making expensive fixes down the line. Take care of your home and it will take care of you.
To learn more, visit delonixhomes.com